Here’s my list – it’s not a comprehensive list. It’s just a personal compilation, given here in chronological order. I am also going to add some details to the context in which I saw these movies or other notes. Some of these films are not even from 2008. Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think.
1. Edge of Heaven (Fatih Akin). Though I prefer Head On, this film is very impressive. I love the mix of cultures and locations, the perfect tapestry of situations and people – Germans, Turks, prostitutes, scholars. It’s great.
2. Guide  (Vijay Anand). A real trip, very different from the basic Bollywood formulas. When a flawed man is mistaken for a holy man, will it make him more holy? That question is only one aspect of this complex film. Wonderful songs include Aaj Phir Teene Ki Tamanna Hai, where the suicidal heroine decides to hang on to life. The film’s star, Dev Anand, who is in his 90’s now, came to Europe. I met him at the Maison de l’Inde, then saw him one week later in Cannes, where he presented a restored print of Guide.
3. Midnight Lost and Found (Atul Sabharwal)
4. La Femme serpent (Marie Hélia)
5. Born Again  (James Ault)
6. Control  (Anton Corbijn)
7. Le Petit Jerusalem  (Karin Albou)
8. Osama  (Siddiq Barmak)
9. Jodhaa Akbar (Asutosh Gowarker)
10. Eleve Libre (Joachim Lafosse)
11. Ocean of Pearls (Sarab Neelam)
12. Two Lovers (James Gray)
13. The Visitor (Tom McCarthy)